When it comes to sun protection we mostly think about sunscreen and maybe throwing on a hat or some shades. In recent years it has become a trend to invest in sun protective UPF 50+ clothing as a part of our sun-safety routine. There is an extreme benefit to wearing UV-protective clothing as opposed to only wearing sunscreen as your sole sun protection. Since most people don’t apply enough sunscreen or fail to re-apply, their attempt at sun protection is ill-fated. UV-protective clothing is specially treated and designed to filter UVA and UVB rays, they provide a physical block that doesn’t wash or wear off like traditional sunscreen, and sun shirts are better at blocking rays and stopping them from hitting the skin. The UV-protection of clothing is measured in UPF; just like a sunscreen’s SPF rating, the higher the UPF, the greater it blocks UVA and UVB rays.
So why don’t more people wear UV-protective clothing?
- Lack of fashionable options
- Misconception that UPF clothing is only used for swimming
These reasons are FAR from the truth. As far as cost goes, a one-time buy of uv-protective clothing will save you money over the long-term. UV-protective clothing (especially long-sleeve) covers more skin; skin that you don’t need to apply sunscreen to. You just need to make sure to apply sunscreen to all other exposed areas (face, neck, hands, legs and feet).
5 reasons UV-protective clothing is a good investment:
- The light-weight fabric of a uv-protective shirt wicks moisture from your skin and dries quickly to keep you cool, even during peak sunshine hours of the day.
- You will save money on sunscreen and limit the amount of chemicals being absorbed into your skin from the use of sunscreen because you don’t need to wear sunscreen UNDER your uv-protective sun shirt or clothing. Just focus on the exposed extremities like your hands, feet, neck, and face.
- You can wash your uv-protective sun shirt repeatedly without losing the UPF that is woven into the fabric. UV Skinz sunwear has a beginning UPF of 50+. Towards the end of its life cycle (40 washes or more) there is still an end UPF of at least 50.
- UV-protective clothing is trendy, comes in awesome colors and designs, is versatile and can be used in water, on a hike or a day at the county fair!
- UV-protective clothing with a UPF 50+ protects against 98% of UVA and UVB rays all day, every day!