Did you know that more men than women develop melanoma, a potentially deadly form of skin cancer? This is due, in part, to women being more compliant in using sun protection daily. Yet despite this skin cancer statistic, many men still don’t regularly practice sun safety. So why are they ignoring or dismissing sun protection?
Today, we go over why men don't like to wear sunscreen and why it's so important that they do.
Reasons Why Men Don't Wear Sunscreen
The main reason men don't wear sunscreen is that they just forget to apply it or re-apply it when outside for longer periods of time. It's easy to see why this happens, and according to Allure Magazine, most men just don't wear sunscreen at all because it's tedious to put on. Here are some other reasons why men don't like to put on sunblock:
- Perception that sunscreen isn’t masculine
- Lack of awareness about unprotected sun exposure and health risks
- Dislike applying and wearing a perfumed, sticky, or oily sunscreen
- Belief that a dark complexion protects skin from sun damage
- Belief that sun exposure is necessary for the production of Vitamin D
Men, You Still Need to Wear Sunscreen: Here Are Some Tips on How to Be Sun-Safe
There’s no denying that sunscreen is essential for UV protection, but what kind of sunscreen should you use? You want to use broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Here are some additional sun-safe tips for men:
- Avoid or limit the sun between 10 am and 4 pm when sun rays are the strongest.
- Seek shade whenever possible during daylight hours.
- Wear UPF 50+ clothing when outside.
- Wear a wide-brim UPF 50+ hat to protect your face and neck.
How to Encourage Men to Wear Sunscreen
Here are some tips on how to encourage men to wear sunscreen:
- Put it on with them!
- Educate them about the risk of skin cancer.
- Buy them UPF 50+ swimwear and clothing so they don't need to apply sunscreen.
- Find a sunscreen they really like the smell and feel of and put it on for them.
Sun Protection for Men: UV Skinz
Encouraging men to wear sun protection is a no-brainer, and it's our mission to help men start wearing more UPF 50+ clothing and swimwear to stay safe. Be sure to check out our collection of men's UPF clothing online today.