If there’s one thing all outdoor enthusiasts love, it’s exploring the great outdoors. Whether hiking through the forest, cycling along scenic trails, or camping at your favorite National Park, it’s easy to see why this is so. While being outdoors is breathtakingly beautiful and good for the soul, it can also be dangerous if you don’t protect yourself from the sun’s UV rays.
That’s where Ultraviolet Protection Factor, also known as UPF, clothing comes into play as it helps shield you from both UVA and UVB rays. In this blog post, we go over why UPF clothing is important for outdoor enthusiasts, like hikers, bikers, and backpackers. And as a bonus, we included a list of our customers' favorite UPF 50+ clothing to wear outdoors.
The Importance of UPF Clothing and The Great Outdoors
UPF clothing is clothing specifically designed to provide you with protection from the sun’s UV rays. When it comes to pick a brand for your next outdoor adventure, look for the highest UPF rating you can find, a UPF 50+ rating. An article of clothing with a UPF rating of 50+ will only allow 1/50th of UV radiation to pass through your clothing.
Also, choose a UPF company that utilizes third-party testing to ensure quality and one that also doesn’t use chemicals as well. Wearing UPF clothing can significantly reduce the amount of radiation you’re exposed to while outdoors. Remember, that you need to wear UPF clothing even on cooler days, snow days, and when exposed to high altitudes.
UPF clothing is important to wear if you spend time hiking, cycling, climbing, or just exploring National Parks and trails because of the following:
- Blocks out UVA and UVB rays, which can cause sunburns, skin damage, and skin cancer, including Melanoma.
- Keeps you cool and prevents discomfort while being active.
- Helps prevent premature aging.
- Protects people with sun allergies and other photosensitivity issues.
Tips on Sun-Protective Hiking Clothing
Some outdoor activities, like hiking or through-hiking, can be strenuous, which is why traditional clothing is not the best option for performance or comfort purposes under these conditions. As UPF clothing is designed to be lightweight, moisture-wicking, and breathable it’s also a great option for outdoor enthusiasts in general - especially those looking to hike long distances.
When it comes to choose sun protective clothing while hiking, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Choose UPF clothing that provides comprehensive coverage, such as long-sleeve shirts, wide-brim hats with a neck flap, and long pants.
- Find UPF clothing that’s chemical free, odor-free (thank us later) and made from lightweight, breathable fabric like bamboo viscose.
- Opt for dark or bright colors when choosing clothing as those colors absorb UV rays better.
- Remember to put on a broad-spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen anywhere your clothing doesn't cover.
Women’s Hiking Shirts with Sun Protection
Men’s Hiking Shirts with Sun Protection
Best Hats for Hikers
For outdoor enthusiasts like hikers, backpackers, and cyclists, it's imperative to add UPF clothing to your gear collection. UPF 50+ clothing keeps over 98% of the sun's UV rays from your skin, preventing skin damage and greatly reducing your risk of skin cancer.
Environmentally friendly and much easier to put on than sunscreen, UPF clothing is a must-have for yourself or anyone in your life that loves the outdoors.
The next time you embark on an adventure under the sun, don't forget to gear up with UPF clothing to make the most of your outdoor experience. Check out our collection of UPF 50+ clothing for men and women online today.